Whether you’re new to faith or a seasoned Bible scholar, your personal story of following Jesus (your testimony) is one of the most powerful ways to share your faith. You don’t need to be an eloquent preacher with a pulpit or a famous evangelist with a crazy story. Simply sharing how Jesus changed your life can be the catalyst to seeing others changed by Him.
A good testimony highlights 3 things:
- WHAT your life was like before following Jesus
- WHY you decided to follow Jesus
- HOW your life has changed after following Jesus
Attempting to fit the many experiences and emotions of life into those 3 areas can be challenging. To simplify the process we recommend defining a STATEMENT and a STORY for each of these points.
4 Easy Steps to Writing Your Testimony
1. But First, Pray
It may seem obvious, but the truth is, we often forget to pray. Take a moment to pause and ask the Holy Spirit, “What aspects of my life and story do you want me to share?” Chances are, you already have an idea about what you want to write but take the time to ask Him first.
2. Describe Life Before Following Jesus
Jesus gives us identity and purpose. Life without Jesus is void of true identity and purpose. Many of our emotions and actions come from this void of unsatisfied inner desires. What were one or two of your unsatisfied inner desires before you came to know Jesus? (Needed Validation. Felt no-one loved you etc.)
“Before following Jesus…”
- Statement: Define a statement which summarises WHAT your life was like before you decided to follow Jesus. Be sure to include your unsatisfied inner desires.
- Story: Think of a story from your life to support the statement. Detail your thoughts and emotions in the story. It may include what your life was truly like (lonely, empty, shallow, etc.), what your life revolves around the most (work, a partner, alcohol, etc.), or what you got your security or happiness from (success, possessions, etc.).
3. Describe Why You Decided To Follow Jesus
Jesus can mean many things to different people. To some Jesus is Lord, to some He is a liar and to others He is a lunatic. Sharing who Jesus is to you and why you decided to follow Him is powerful.
“I decided to follow Jesus…”
- Statement: Define a statement which summarises WHY you decided to follow Jesus.
- Story: Think of a story to support your statement. Detail your thoughts and emotions in the story. It may include the moment your attitude towards Jesus changed, how His love and mercy began to soften your heart, or the moment you realised who He truly is.
4. Describe Life After Following Jesus
Jesus changes us. He restores us into right relationship with God. He takes us from death to life, from lost to found and He gives us true identity and purpose. He fulfils our unsatisfied inner desires allowing us to live full lives. How has He impacted the way you live, feel and think?
“Since following Jesus…”
- Statement: Define a statement which summarises HOW your life has changed since following Jesus. Be sure to includes the fulfilment of your unsatisfied inner desires.
- Story: Think of a story to support your statement. detail your thoughts and emotions in the story. It may include how your life has changed (identity, purpose, meaning), how His love and mercy has shaped your your emotions (no longer angry, anxious, etc), or changed your actions for the better (Love helping people, Don’t react, Forgive quickly).
Now all you need to do it write it! Once you have finished writing it, share it! Practise makes perfect. Here are 5 tips to help you as you share…
- Be current — Share what is Jesus is doing in your life now, today. You are changed and changing still. Tell of the past, current and ongoing change.
- Be honest — There is no need to exaggerate or dramatise your life for effect. The simple truth of what Jesus has done is powerful enough.
- Be specific — Include events and genuine feelings to help make your testimony tangible and relatable.
- Use every-day language — Swap out “christianese” words/statements with commonly used phrases which people are familiar with.
- Stick to the point — While you had a life before Jesus, your new life in Jesus should be the focus, not your life before Him.
Give yourself some grace, have fun and begin to get comfy with your story. We believe in you and the Holy Spirit is with you! Get out there and give it a go.